Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Is Christian Science Fiction an Oxymoron?

I sure hope not, because that's what I ultimately want to write. I'm not there yet. Yes, both my writing-and my published book Golden Hope- are appropriate for young, old and Christian alike. I haven't actually put much about religion in my books other than maybe an off-hand comment about my characters sending up a prayer when they were in trouble, but seriously doesn't everyone? Mostly? I betcha even atheists turn Christian when hanging off a cliff.

 The book I'm working on now is middle grade science fiction, but still not a "Christian" one. Once again, appropriate, while, I hope, still full of fun and danger. It does seem weird to me to write about people on another planet that believe and pray to God. It's almost like God only belongs here on earth and it's anti-Christian to bring him into the future. But who knows? It could happen!

I will branch out to "Christian Science Fiction" with my third book if possible. I wonder though, will Christian publishers consider a book that's merely appropriate and doesn't include how the characters relied on faith? If you have that answer, please share.

I know that as a Christian, Young Adult, Science Fiction writer I'm pretty much at the bottom, well, more like under the ground, of the food chain when it comes to publishing, or popular genres. My goal is to write books kids and teenagers will enjoy, can still relate to, but won't have bad language, sex or in any way encourage drug abuse. Now, some of you may be thinking, Are there any kids left who would even be interested in a book that doesn't have sex, swearing or drugs? Or you may not believe that kind of book would ever get published, or maybe it will get published but no one would ever buy it. You may be right- But it doesn't stop me from wanting to write them. Or, maybe I'm just plain old-fashioned. I guess time will tell. Oops, there's a cliche'

No comments:

Post a Comment