Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Do you create or do you write?

What's the difference? Well, to me if all boils down to the books that you have on your shelf. Those would be books that you love and want to read over and over, never mind that you can read them on Kindle, Nook, or other readers, these books are your friends. They come with memories. I have the following books on my shelf; The Lord of the Rings Trilogy- which I have read at least six times, Watership Down, all the Harry Potters,  Dragon Drums, Dragon Song and Dragon Singer plus the White Dragon, and Alas, Babylon. These are my favorites. Some are classics and some are just my personal favorites. But why? What makes them special. I have read hundreds, thousands maybe, books and enjoyed most of them, but I don't usually go back and reread them. But my favorites I will return to again and again. They're like comfort food to me. I especially like it when I have gone a long time without reading one of them, then it's almost like reading it for the first time, again.

I think that what sets the authors of the above favorites apart is that they were were creators, not just writers. They created a world. Their writing had depth and detail. When you read these books, you forget that you are reading words and you enter into that created world. You walk alongside the characters and you become an unnamed character that is part of that world. There are many books that can make you cry or make you happy, but these special ones, they take you away, and quite often, you don't want to come back.

So, that's my question, are you a creator or are you a writer? Right now, I'm a writer. I hope someday to become a creator. There is so much more I could say about this subject that I think I'll stop now and leave it for another day.

Random statement of the day: My bluebirds have built a nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment